10 Fashion Must-Buys for Spring 2012
I always get excited about spring—the thick March issues of Vogue, ELLE, and Harper’s Bazaar, the slightly warmer weather, longer days, and all the new fashion and makeup! What’s there not to love? OK—maybe the fact that we rarely ever get real spring weather in NYC, but who’s counting?
Anyway, this spring is especially exciting because so many of the trends we saw on the runways are totally wearable no matter your age or size—and how often does that happen? Right. So here’s a list of ten items you absolutely must have in your closet for spring 2012…
1. Something Neon: Hey, go hard or go home! That’s practically the theme with this season’s neon trend. Be bold with neon colored skinny jeans, jackets, dresses, accessories, you name it. “If you’re not quite ready to cozy up to a hot handbag or bright belt,” says Fiber One spokesperson and style expert Bobbie Thomas, “consider dazzling your digits with a shiny coat of ‘notice–me-now’ neon nail lacquer”.
2. A Midi Skirt: It’s not a mini, not a maxi, but a midi! This fashionable length takes a nod to the 1940s and is certainly a must-have in your closet this season. It helps smooth out the figure—but be sure to wear yours with heels–the odd length combined with flats isn’t always flattering.
3. Fly Shades: We spoke about hot designer shades earlier this week and need I say more? A great pair of shades adds an instant air of mystery and fashion to your ensemble.
4. Statement Shoes: Actually, statement shoes should always be in your closet, but since your toes and heels were likely hidden all winter, wouldn’t it be nice to put them in something fashionable and new? This season I’m taking cues from Alexander Wang (pointy-toes are back) and Derek Lam (prints).
5. Something Floral: Certainly as Miranda Priestly stated in “The Devil Wears Prada”, there’s nothing groundbreaking about florals in the spring, but when they show up on things from jeans to blazers and shoes, I’d say there is! Bonus points if you mix your floral patterns. Get the 411 on how to mix prints here.
6. Peplum: We’ve talked about our love for peplum quite a lot before here, and now it’s one of the biggest trends this season. Look for the detail in skirts, jackets, and dresses—it adds such a ladylike touch to your look.
7. Stackable Bracelets: Don’t have a ton of money to spare on new wardrobe additions? Get some stackable bracelets—the more different each one is from the other the better and pile them on.
8. Fitted Trench: The trench coat is certainly not going anywhere–it will forever remain a spring staple so be sure you have one in your wardrobe. And if you love the look of Burberry, but not the price, you definitely want to check out this post: Love Burberry Prorsum S/S 12 Trenches But Don’t Have $3,000+? Look Here!.
9. Sheath Dress: We’ve already discussed how a great fitting sheath dress can not only look fashionable, but hide a multitude of sins, so there’s no reason why one shouldn’t be in your wardrobe come spring.
10. Pink Lipstick: One of the hottest lip colors to wear this spring? Pink! It does all the same outfit popping things that red does but is a softer, more spring-ready alternative. Find out which pink goes with your complexion in Your Best Makeup Colors.