An Ode to My Mother

Happy Mother’s Day!

I wanted to take this opportunity to give a special Mother’s Day shout-out to my mom–after all without her there would be no me and without me…well, things just wouldn’t make sense. Ha!

Hard to believe now since I’ve grown into my own, but when I was a kid I was SUPER introverted, self-conscious, and super sensitive. There wasn’t a day I wouldn’t come home crying to my mom because of something mean the neighborhood kids or the kids at school said to me. I was awkward, didn’t really fit in, and okay, a bit of a nerd…lol. I didn’t get invited to the cool parties and it’s not like I could be down by default by virtue of my siblings because my older sisters were so many years older than me (by 7 and 10 years). But I felt solace in the fact that when I would get home, my mom would be there. I could cry my eyes out with her and she always knew what to say. I’d likely be some homeless emo extra in a tired rock band now if it weren’t for her…lol.

I’m the woman I am now because of her. I can’t imagine accomplishing half the things I’ve done in life if she wasn’t who she was. She was brave, comforting, and sooo glamorous. I definitely have to credit my love for getting gussied up to her—seriously, what 80s child could walk by her mother’s vanity seeing piles of colorful eyeshadows and tubes of red lipstick and not be totally influenced? Let’s not even get into the hairstyles…

My parents in Trinidad

I’m totally rocking my mom’s 1960s hair now!

She’s also my biggest advocate—always posting my blog posts on Facebook and listens with a huge grin from ear-to-ear when I tell her about my latest adventures. She’s my gal! (ok, now my keyboard is wet with tears…lol).

LOVE YOU, MOM!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

A former finance girl, Danielle is a New York City based freelance writer and fashion and beauty expert. She's a Hofstra University and Fashion Institute of Technology grad with an obsession with fashion and beauty which she loves to tell you all about every weekday on her award-winning blog. Think of her as your style and beauty entourage all wrapped up into one bubbly brown package. Danielle's work and expertise can be found in print and across the web in Cosmopolitan for Latinas, StyleBlazer.com, and more! She's also appeared as an on-air style expert on CBS New York's "The Couch" and WPIX11's Savvy Shopper segment.
Tagged

18 Responses to An Ode to My Mother

1. Vee Gilbert via Facebook says:

awwwn, so sweet! <3

2. Odara says:

Oh wow, I got teary eyed just reading this. So beautifully written. Your mother is gorgeous, such beautiful photos!! Thanks for sharing and Happy Mother’s day to your mom and all the mother’s out there ^_^

3. Dionne says:

Awwwww!! Well she is the fashion diva since she “knows fashion and knows what they are wearing” now or the technology diva when she tries to fax from a cell phone when in fact she meant “text”! LOL!

4. Andrea says:

Danielle, in that last picture, your parents remind me of Idris Elba and Audra MacDonald…

Gotta love the 60′s when everyone was dressed up all the time. I kind of wish that would come back. I’m tired of not being able to tell rich people from hobos…

Hey Andrea!

Ha! I totally see Idris/Audra now that you mention it! Yes, weren’t the 60′s something! I REALLY wish my mom would have held onto some of these dresses so I can wear them now…lol. LOL @ rich people vs hobos

Happy Mother’s Day!

5. Omg says:

Wow! Your parents are beautiful! I can see where you got it from. And your mom looks like a total doll! This is too cute, have fun with your mum!

*chocolate fam for the wiiinn*

6. califabulous says:

Gorgeous. So awesome how much you look like your mom. You two are beautiful :) by the by dad’s giving me the eddie murphy in boomerang vibe….go ‘head cool daddy :)

Thanks!!! It’s funny how so many people say we look so much alike. I always thought my mom, my two sisters, and I looked like four randomly put together women…lol. I see it now though.

My dad was totally Eddie Murphy! lol

Happy Mother’s Day!

7. Joanne_ says:

awwwww, you look JUST LIKE YOUR MOTHER! lol she’s beautiful! and that last picture, hunny, your dad looks like he’s giving cover of GQ realness!

8. An Ode to My Mother http://t.co/h5vSzjxa via @StyleNBeautyDoc