In Which We Discuss the “Differences” Between MAC RiRi Woo and Ruby Woo

Read ALL about my review process including how I take swatches, photos, and more here.

mac-riri-woo-vs-ruby-woo

By now if you were quick on the draw last week when RiRi Woo went on sale, I’m sure you’ve received your lipstick. A lot of people have been buzzing about the differences between it and its inspired original Ruby Woo. I received a complimentary tube thanks to Motions Hair last night at Rihanna‘s sold out Diamonds World Tour concert stop in Brooklyn (where I SWORE Kanye and Jay-Z were going to come out…lol) and since I had my staple Ruby Woo I decided to see what differences I saw in the two.

mac-riri-woo-vs-ruby-woo-2

Um, there really isn’t any other than Rihanna’s signature etched into the lipstick’s tube in RiRi Woo. But we knew this already, right? It’s the same price, same size, and other than a slight—VERY slight difference in undertone (I saw people say RiRi Woo is bluer but I actually see slightly more orange in RiRi Woo both on me and others in my Motions Hair concert party group), it’s pretty much the same lipstick. I also found RiRi Woo to be just as drying on the lips as Ruby Woo (see also How to Make Ruby Woo More Wearable). If you’re a Ruby Woo fan or a Rihanna fan, I’m sure you’re down for the cause anyway. If you missed it the first time around, fear not—it’ll be back again in June and from my understanding also with more RiRi Loves MAC collections due out several times this year.

mac-riri-woo

mac-riri-woo-lipstick

mac-riri-woo-lipstick-4

mac-riri-woo-lipstick-close-up

mac-riri-woo-vs-ruby-woo-swatches-on-dark-skin

mac-riri-woo-vs-ruby-woo-swatches-on-dark-skin-2

Did you get your RiRi Woo? What do you think?

Related Post

A former finance girl, Danielle is a New York City based freelance writer and fashion and beauty expert. She's a Hofstra University and Fashion Institute of Technology grad with an obsession with fashion and beauty which she loves to tell you all about every weekday on her award-winning blog. Think of her as your style and beauty entourage all wrapped up into one bubbly brown package. Danielle's work and expertise can be found in print and across the web in Cosmopolitan for Latinas, StyleBlazer.com, and more! She's also appeared as an on-air style expert on CBS New York's "The Couch" and WPIX11's Savvy Shopper segment.
Tagged , ,

22 Responses to In Which We Discuss the “Differences” Between MAC RiRi Woo and Ruby Woo

1. @msm00re says:

RT @StyleNBeautyDoc: In Which We Discuss the “Differences” Between MAC RiRi Woo and Ruby Woo: http://t.co/M3EagL7ED7

2. Tori says:

I brought it, of course, and was very disappointed when it came so close. I thought it was going to be a darker matte, which is something I had been looking for! MAC should be ashamed of themselves! lol

3. Clarisse says:

I’ve always loved my Ruby Woo but I missed the RiRi, keeping my fingers crossed for June. From the swatches I’ve seen, it looks like the RiRi isn’t as dry as the Ruby.

4. I’m so glad you did this because I thought I was trippin when I said that there really wasn’t much difference. You just confirmed this for me. Thanks!

5. I thought so! “@GangStarrGirl: Yay, a post that compares and contrasts RiRi Woo and Ruby Woo! http://t.co/yU6pGp94Bn (#FirstWorldInterests)”

6. @KDubSays says:

RT @GangStarrGirl: Yay, a post that compares and contrasts RiRi Woo and Ruby Woo! http://t.co/ZyedLVs7AJ (#FirstWorldInterests)

7. If you’re wondering about the difference between #RubyWoo and #RiRiwoo @StyleNBeautyDoc can tell you => #NoSpoiler http://t.co/HHWXnMB19u

8. RT @ShaunaReporter: If you’re wondering about the difference between #RubyWoo and #RiRiwoo @StyleNBeautyDoc can tell you => #NoSpoiler http://t.co/HHWXnMB19u

9. Andrea says:

I’ve totally been biting your style with the red lipstick but have been using Nightmoth to a lot of bright reds that I think I would not wear otherwise. It’s opened up a whole new world…thanks Danielle. I’m wearing it today.

I did order RiRi Woo but had never bought Ruby Woo although probably have something close. But since I managed to log in to buy something else, I figured, why not. Now I feel bad b/c I could care less if I got it, but kind of bought it b/c it was there as soon as you went to the Mac website.

10. Andrea says:

But this isn’t surprising…I always say Mac is like a bad boyfriend, over promising and under delivering…

11. RT @StyleNBeautyDoc: @BagLadies @Hizwife4lyfe check it out here complete with pics: http://t.co/1jS3q06NVX #BagLadesLIVE

12. @KDubSays says:

@MissJia I think you tweeted about wanting to see RhiRhiWoo vs Ruby Woo on brown skin http://t.co/K5KfeTcb4X

13. Joanna says:

It’s quite similar to me. I am such a sucker for packaing so I am waiting to see the other release products then I may order but I’m kinda sticking to Ruby Woo for now :)

14. Pingback: Rihanna Barclays Concert | The Style and Beauty Doctor

15. Shay says:

I got mine however in my excitement to see the difference between the other Woo, I slapped it onto unscrubbed, unmoisturized lips. Fail. I like the color. A little darker than Ruby I feel. It’s a matte as well so tread accordingly lol.

16. Pingback: What We're Expecting From Fenty Beauty This Fall