Typically the looks that come walking down the runway are often an expression of art that the designer and the beauty team collaborate on together and often aren’t something we’d be clamoring to copy. But every now and then there’s a trend that comes from backstage that is just so much full of win that you HAVE to try it in some form in your everyday life.
Case in point the mile-long braids Catwalk by Tigi Global Creative Director Nick Irwin crafted for Mara Hoffman‘s spring show.
I was on the scene getting a first-hand view of Irwin’s talented team of stylists creating the braids that went so well with Mara Hoffman’s bold prints and fluid silhouettes.
A little insider info about the braids: the extensions were pre-braided before the show to save time (can you imagine having to braid all of that hair through the hustle and bustle of backstage??!!) and were then banded to the models’ hair.
Wanna try a similar look at home? Here’s the how-to:
1. Prep hair with ample Catwalk by Tigi Curlesque Strong Mousse, working it from roots to ends and brushing through with a paddle brush while creating a defined center part from hairline to nape.
2. Starting with the left side of the head, gather hair and begin french braiding directly behind the ear, working small, loose wefts of hair into the braid to create an exaggerated length. Use a bit of Catwalk by Tigi Session Series True Wax on tips at fingers to keep bits from escaping the braid. Secure with a clear elastic,
3. Repeat on the right side of the head, and set braids with Catwalk by Tigi Sleek Mystique Look Lock Hairspray.
4. Using a colorful woven belt, bind the two braids together in a small section at the nape of the neck and pin in place, tucking away the ends.
5. Spray the crown and hairline with Catwalk by Tigi Your Highness Weightless Shine Spray for added shine.