Talk Amongst Yourselves or Ask Me a Question + My New Hair!

Talk amongst yourselves or ask me a question! It can be about anything–makeup, fashion, blogging, about me—anything you wish.

Plus check out my new hair. I got it done at Styles Salon by celebrity stylist Gabrielle Corney.

I love it! It’s Indique 100% Remy Hair—same hair I used last time I got my weave installed, but Gabby cut it into a bob. I can’t say enough about the quality of this hair—no tangles, very little shedding, and it looks like my hair does when it’s relaxed.

Hair by Gabrielle Corney at Styles Salon NYC

I have never been able to walk out of a salon and love the way the stylist styled my hair until I met Gabrielle. Seriously. I would get a wash and set at Dominican salons and just have them wrap my hair because I was not even going through with the styling part because I knew I wouldn’t like it…lol. Plus Gabby is also about hair health–she’s not going to fry your hair.

And Styles Salon? You basically need to get your hair done there. When I tell you how every single woman walked out of there looking stunning—every woman walked out of there looking stunning…lol. They do relaxers, weaves, precision cuts, natural hair (a woman was getting her locs colored when I was there and it looked GOOOD), etc. It’s not cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for. They’re located at 5 West 46th Street on the 2nd floor. For more info check out www.stylesnewyork.com

Tagged , , , , , , ,

42 Responses to Talk Amongst Yourselves or Ask Me a Question + My New Hair!

1. itsme says:

danielle, you look *tony the tiger voice* grrrrreat!

2. Sharon says:

Your hair looks amazing! Now for my sad story. I’ve always had a bob similar to the one you have now (a little longer in the front but nothing drastic). Last fall I decided that I looked too plain and decided to cut thick blunt bangs which looked awesome. When they got too long I trimmed them again and now they’re getting a bit long again and I’m wondering how I can grow them out gracefully. Please help :)

3. Ricki says:

Your hair looks very nice, I’m jealous :( question? do you like Bobbi Brown makeup? that is my makeup of choice right now, I notice you mention other brands, MAC, NARS, but not Bobbi Brown, any reason? am I wearing the wrong makeup?

Hey Ricki!

Thanks! No—you’re not wearing the wrong makeup! I do mention Bobbi Brown but not as often because when I shop the other brands are more accessible. Bobbi has some really great products. Just this holiday I had to really restrain myself from buying EVERYTHING from their holiday collection…lol. Their eyeshadow sets were so beautiful and they have some really pretty blush shades, lipsticks, etc. plus they have some of the best nude lipsticks for every woman (check out https://www.thestyleandbeautydoctor.com/2010/04/nude-lips-for-every-skin-tone-from-bobbi-brown/). I just have too much makeup…lol. And I know if I went to Bobbi more often I’d buy even more.

Now you’re making me want to go get more Bobbi..lol.

Also–I mention MAC the most because it’s a popular “internet” brand that is easy to find swatches of their makeup online. This way I feel you can get an idea of what certain colors look like so you can find similar ones in other brands.

Hope that makes sense :)

4. Hi Danielle! Loving the new cut girl! Currently I use MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NW45. It was the first foundation that suited me perfectly!!! Now I don’t want to mess up a good thing but what drug store brand foundations can compare to MAC? After getting addicted to Falsies mascara I’m finally convinced MAC and Sephora aren’t the only way to go.

Hey Jaz! These aren’t the same texture as Tech, but I really like Black Opal True Color Liquid Foundation, Black Opal Foundation Stick, Iman Second to None Luminous Finish Foundation, and Iman Foundation Stick. Black Opal liquid foundation is awesome because it gives a nice sheer to buildable medium finish that looks very natural. With the foundation sticks you can apply very little and get a nice flawless look that covers discolorations very well.

Let me know what you wind up getting :)

• Sooo after two weeks of searching for Black Opal and Iman could you believe I could not find it in my country town :( And then when I finally got in an area that had the products I totally forgot about them :( :( I just went back to my trusted MAC Studio Fix. Hopefully I’ll have better luck finding some Iman products. I am actually looking forward to it now!

Jas,

It’s the same way in my neighborhood, too. I mean, we have a pretty decent Iman and Black Opal collection but they often run out of products and never stock half of what is on the company’s websites. *sigh* Why won’t they let us be great? lol

5. Nesh says:

Ooooh girl your hair is so cute & I absolutely love your skin, it always looks so flawless! What lipstick are you wearing? I am totally drooling over it :-)

6. Melissa says:

Danielle,
    I’m looking for a subtle everyday hightler and I’m leaning towards YSL’s Touch Éclat. I’ve researched your previous post on it, but I’m still not quite clear if it will give me that “quiet” pop on my upper cheekbones and inner corners of my eyes.
    BTW..luv your website!

Melissa

Hey Melissa!

Thanks–I like Touche Eclat for under my eyes but it’s more of a “shade lighter than your skin” highlight than a glowy highlight if that makes sense.

For the cheekbones I would look at a MAC Mineralize Skinfinish, a Too Faced Brightening Blush, NARS Albatross Blush, or even a liquid like Benefit High Beam. If you’re looking for something on the glowy side choose something like the ones I mentioned.

Let me know if you have additional questions :)

7. Krissy says:

LOVE the new look. Can I have your number?

8. Shoefetish says:

Hi Danielle, Love the hair!! It looks so natural, btw what color lipstick is that? We are soo needy huh?

9. JD says:

I LOVE the cut! I am also curious what color and kind of lipstick you are wearing in the picture?

10. Joanne_ says:

u look gorgeous Danielle!!!! Lovin that pic!

11. gigi says:

hey danielle, you look fabulous! i have been using the oil cleansing method for the past few months, and i am noticing that my make up is no longer staying the way it should. what are your recommendations for an everyday eyeliner and other make up options that will stay in place for users of the OCM?

Hey gigi!

Thanks!

Make Up For Ever is a wonderful line that has waterproof makeup that stays put. I like their Aqua Eyes waterproof liner for everyday and they also have a product called Aqua Cream that comes in a variety of colors (some are from eyes, some are for lips and cheeks) but they’re great because they’re waterproof. You can use the pink/red colored ones as a cream blush that stays put and the other eye ones as either eye shadows or a base for powder shadows that will always stay put.

They also have a waterproof concealer and waterproof foundation.

Hope this helps!

12. Taylor says:

I loved your hair the first visit but the new bob cut is HOT! I enjoy wearing lipstick everyday but whenever I take a bite to eat I end up looking like I have kool-aid on my chin and top lip :-( What are some of the best color stay lipsticks?

Hey Taylor!

Thanks so much–I do enjoy this bob :)

I’ve found that from those I’ve tried, Stila Long Wear Liquid Lip Color and YSL Rouge Pur Couture have lasted the longest on me. But you can make your lipsticks last longer by applying a primer (like Chapstick) then apply a liner either similar to the color of your lips or to the color of your lipstick, then apply your lipstick, and then gloss on top. This will help the color to last longer. I also learned a trick to keep your lip color off glasses when you drink: make a moisture barrier between your lips and the glass. You can do this by discreetly licking the glass where you’ll be drinking from…lol. Sounds funny/gross but it works :)

• Taylor says:

I am always afraid to use my primer with my matte lipsticks but I will definitely try. I also need to invest in more liners (I have only 2 :-( ) I need to try and purchase drugstore brands because I can’t afford to buy a new mac lip and a mac liner at the same time. I have already mastered discreetly taking out my invisalign so I think I can try the barrier trick :-) Thank you!

Primer is great to use with matte lipsticks because it helps to “iron out” the lines in the lips and will help with dryness.

You’re so lucky you could use Invisalign! My jaw condition caused me to only wear straight up braces for two years…lol

13. Dionne says:

So you fancy huh? LOL! Miss you!

14. Steph L. says:

Hey Danielle!

I’ve got a fashion question for you. I recently purchased a kelly green one shoulder blouse and I’m looking to wear it to a swanky birthday party this Saturday. Can you give me some suggestions on how to jazz it up with a pencil skirt? I want to look absolutely fierce.

Oh, if you want to throw in a make-up suggestion for the ensemble that would be great, too! (FYI, my skin complexion is close to yours.)

Thank you so much!

Hey Steph!

That kelly green one shoulder blouse sounds HOT! I’d pair it with either a yellow or a gold skirt to really make it pop paired with nude shoes. For more tips on how to create color combos in your wardrobe (or makeup) check out this post: https://www.thestyleandbeautydoctor.com/2010/04/the-color-wheel-how-to-combine-colors-in-your-wardrobe/.

You won’t need many accessories aside from some maybe some bangles since the shape of the top itself in an accessory.

As for makeup, I say go all out with a red lip, simple eyes (liner and mascara), and blush. Since you’re about my complexion go for a red like Stila Long Lasting Liquid Lip Color in Fiery and a coral blush like Illamasqua Powder Blusher in Tweak.

Hope this helps! Have fun :)

15. Shaye says:

Hey Danielle,

Quick question…what would be a good under eye brightening concealer for dark skin…I typically wear NW 45 in foundation but Ive seen women use a lighter tone for under their eyes…What do you recommend?

Hey Shaye!

Which color you use for under the eyes depends on what you’re covering (which is why you might see some women using a lighter tone of even the opposite undertone of their foundation). If you’re covering dark circle, a honey colored concealer works best for NW45 skin. MAC Pro has a full coverage foundation in Orange that I like, but I also like Eve Pearl’s Salmon Concealer in Dark. If you want to highlight or brighten the undereye area, I really like YSL Touche Eclat in #4 Luminous Toffee. Brightens up really nice. You can also use a MAC Studio Finish Concealer in NW40 for a similar look (although I prefer the Touche Eclat). Just remember to blend.

Hope this helps :)

16. Good to know there are salons that are concerned about healty hair. So few are.

17. Lisa says:

Love the hair Danielle, The cut is very flattering. i have always liked the look of the classic bob – it can be both edgy, and fashion forward, and chic, yet at the same time, it looks, professional, and no-fuss!

I wanted to ask you if you have ever used, or know anyone who has used the concealor by IT Cosmetics , called Bye Bye undereye Concealor?

If you have used it, and think it is worth the buy – can you please tell me what concealor shade would work best on my skin – my skin tone is simular to Keri Hilsons

18. Lisa says:

Hello Again,

One last question, Really hoping you can help.

Can you recommend a good DE-tangling, shampoo, and conditioner to use on relaxed hair?

I have relaxed, hair that is quite long, BUT it literally takes hours, and hours to detangle after washing (i always let my hair air dry – to try to avoid extra heat damage).
    I have to take hours pulling apart the detangled hair, because a comb cannot get through the tangles without major damage, and a whole lot of tears.

Danielle, I am so frustrated with the whole hair washing process, because of the wasted hours used, gently De-tangling hair, just using my fingers. – that I have been considering just chopping off the whole thing.

Before I do that, I thought i would ask you, since you seem to have good hair dresser , and you probably know alot more about. good hair products than I do.

So Danielle, please tell me if you can recommend any really good DE-tangling shampoos ,and, or conditioners, that I should try, before taking extreme steps, and chopping the whole thing off?.

I really do appreciate your help, and look forward to your reply,

Thank you!
    Lisa

19. HB says:

hey,i use NW45 studio tech as well but am sorta tired of wearing my usual colour 2 weaves…..do you know any other colour i could use that compliments my skintone and all?