3 Warm Toned/Orange-Based Red MAC Lipsticks to Try

Yesterday I shared my favorite cool toned/blue-based MAC reds, and today here’s three warm toned MAC reds you should try.

While MAC certainly has more than three orange-based and warm toned reds, I only have these three in my personal stash. Why? Because I have cool undertones and these type of reds tend to not flatter me but find these particular lipsticks to be more workable than others.

So Chaud: This is a gorgeous bright orange-red perfect for summer. Even though it’s a matte it applies surprisingly creamy and doesn’t feel dry like mattes can tend to be. You can tone the color down slightly with a darker lip pencil like MAC Chestnut or even Nightmoth.

Lady Danger: Also an intense summer-perfect orange-red. It’s slightly darker than So Chaud and is also surprisingly creamy for being a matte.

Chili: This is darker and more subtle in color but still quite the conversation maker. Again another matte that has a slightly creamy texture.

***************

So who’s a good candidate for warm toned red lip color? Well for one anyone who has warm undertones or whose foundation match at MAC is an “NC” then these are colors you should reach for first. But even if that’s not you, don’t rule them out just yet. Sometimes those with neutral and sometimes even cool undertones can pull them off—just try them on and take a good look. If it looks like the lipstick is wearing you instead of the opposite, it’s not your shade.

Still stuck? You can always contact me with a picture of you and I’ll email you back with some suggestions.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

A former finance girl, Danielle is a New York City based freelance writer and fashion and beauty expert. She's a Hofstra University and Fashion Institute of Technology grad with an obsession with fashion and beauty which she loves to tell you all about every weekday on her award-winning blog. Think of her as your style and beauty entourage all wrapped up into one bubbly brown package. Danielle's work and expertise can be found in print and across the web in Cosmopolitan for Latinas, StyleBlazer.com, and more! She's also appeared as an on-air style expert on CBS New York's "The Couch" and WPIX11's Savvy Shopper segment.
Tagged , , , , ,

15 Responses to 3 Warm Toned/Orange-Based Red MAC Lipsticks to Try

1. NeicyRox says:

Lord, I’m all confused now. I thought I was cool toned, but I think I’m NC 45-7 @ MAC, and someone said that meant “cool”. I’VE BEEN LIED TO! BAMBOOZLED! lol
    No YSL foundation looks good on me, 178 in MUFE. These seem like they’d be really pretty either way. Thanks for both of these posts.

Hey NeicyRox!

Don’t be confused :) MAC uses an artist’s color wheel to describe their foundation undertones and it seems backwards to what we’re used to warm and cool. But NC means neutralizes cool (or just think of it as “not cool”) and describes golden beige undertones while NW means neutralizes warm (or just think of it as “not warm”) and describes pink beige undertones.

I’m 178 in MUFE as well as remember trying YSL Radiant Brush Foundation in #14 Chocolate. This was a few years ago but I don’t remember it being off in color.

2. sassy says:

What’s a great MAC red lip, pink lip and nude lip for a NC50? I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks

3. Danielle says:

New blog post: 3 Warm Toned/Orange-Based Red MAC Lipsticks to Try: http://bit.ly/ivC29J

4. Sabrina says:

5. 3 Warm Toned/Orange-Based Red MAC Lipsticks to Try http://bit.ly/j3Q5jC by @StyleNBeautyDoc

6. Danielle says:

New Blog Post: 3 Warm Toned/Orange-Based Red MAC Lipsticks to Try http://bit.ly/jtmJxP

7. Lena Chantel says:

8. Krissy says:

RT @stylenbeautydoc: 3 Warm Toned/Orange-Based Red MAC Lipsticks to Try http://t.co/KteQInG

9. priyanka says:

I love dis colour…<3<3<3 .. plz tell me from where i will get dis lipstick… :-|

10. Joanne_ says:

sooo, clearly i’m running through all posts, man, graduate school has got me backed up on checking up on posts,lol i swear there was some unconscious convos going on in my head wondering whether or not you had a post about these colors…… i def got lady danger and so chaud because i just knew they’d be so dope especially for the spring and summer, i’m glad i got them too b/c i can’t stop wearing them =)

11. Pingback: Finding The Ideal Orange Lip Color | Afrobella