Ask Danielle: Makeup for Dark Skinned Girls

Photobucket

I got an email the other day from Tasha, 22 from Atlanta, GA asking what are the best makeup colors to flatter her deep chocolate skin. Well, Tasha, bright, vivid, pigmented hues combined with washes of neutral tones look beautiful on deeper skin tones. Now, don’t let the bright colors scare you, when perfectly pigmented, they give darker skin a healthy glow–not an 80s extreme look. Check out these pretty shades for skin, cheeks, eyes, and lips:

Photobucket

1. Make Up Forever Full Cover Concealer $30 in Chocolate 18 at Sephora 2. Make Up Forever Full Cover Concealer $30 in Ebony 20 at Sephora 3. Make Up Forever 5 Camouflage Cream Palette #4 $36 at Sephora

4. Make Up Forever Face & Body Liquid Foundation in Ebony 48 $38 at Sephora (The secret is all in this top-selling formula. This waterproof, ultra-light, water-based gel contains no emulsifiers and provides a totally natural, satin finish. Ideal for normal skin-types as well as for fine lines and large pores. Gives skin a uniform tone without accentuating imperfections. A makeup artist’s favorite.)

5. Make Up Forever Liquid Lift Foundation in Cognac 17 $41 at Sephora (This extremely light fluid imparts an instant “tightening ” effect that smoothes fine lines and wrinkles as it tones and refreshes the complexion. Excellent for dry and mature skin types, the finish is natural and glowing.)

6. Becca Stick Foundation in Walnut $38 at beccacosmetics.com 7.Becca Stick Foundation in Chocolate $38 at beccacosmetics.com 8. Becca Stick Foundation in Molasses $38 at beccacosmetics.com 9. Becca Stick Foundation in Espresso $38 at beccacosmetics.com 10. Becca Fine Loose Finishing Powder in Nutmeg $39 at beccacosmetics.com 11. Becca Fine Loose Finishing Powder in Cocoa $39 at beccacosmetics.com 12. MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder in NW50 $21 at MAC

14. NARS Blush in Exhibit A $25 at Sephora 15. NARS Blush in Gilda $25 at Sephora 16. NARS Blush in Taj Mahal $25 at Sephora 17. NARS Blush in Crazed $25 at Sephora 18. MAC Blush in Frankly Scarlet $17.50 at MAC 19. MAC Blush in Fever $17.50 at MAC 20. NARS Eyeshadow in Can Can $22 at Sephora 21. NARS Ey
eshadow in Fuji
$22 at Sephora 22. NARS Eyeshadow in Lulu $22 at Sephora 23. MAC Eyeshadow in Embark $14 at MAC 24. MAC Eyeshadow in Espresso $14 at MAC 25. MAC Eyeshadow in Humid $14 at MAC 26. MAC Lipgelee in Mega $14 at MAC 27. MAC Lipglass in Desire $14 at MAC 28. MAC Lipstick in Full Fucshia $14 at MAC 29. NARS Lip Laquer in Zou Zou $24 at MAC 30. MAC Lustreglass in Decorative $14 at MAC 31. MAC Lip Pencil in Chestnut and Vino $12.50 at MAC

Related Posts with Thumbnails

27 year old banker turned Image Consultant, Makeup Artist, and President of Urban Glamour, LLC. I enjoy bringing out the FIERCE in everyone through personalized thorough image consultations. Think of me as your style and beauty entourage all wrapped up into one bubbly brown package :)

21 Responses to Ask Danielle: Makeup for Dark Skinned Girls

1. Virtuous Blue says:

I agree. I think that darker women can rock highly pigmented colors like nobodie’s business. The shades just seem to pop off of the skin. I especially love wines, berries, and auburn hues with goldish undertones on darker skin.

Kenya
    VB

2. mizmode says:

Thank you so much for this. :)

3. sophia says:

Dani..if I may? Lol

I just left mac counter and the lil heifer had major attitudige…I went to buy select sheer in pressed
    I’m a NW45..she said they no longer make that color and that NC55 now takes the place and that I would be fine. Is the true or…

UGH@her attitude :(

Using the opposite undertone for powder is a trick many use to counter skin discolorations. But to me, NC55 seems a bit “chalky” looking for NW45 skin. If you bought it already, try it out and see how it looks in natural daylight. If it matches your neck and makes your skin look vibrant, go for it. If not, get Blot Powder Loose in Deep Dark instead. I use it to set foundation for photoshoots and it looks great for everyday makeup, too.

4. sadetameka says:

Yay we are the same color in all of theses foundations “rare find” anyways theses are really good suggestions. :D

5. Pingback: Spring into Summer: make-up « The Frum Fashionista

6. Pingback: Best Makeup Colors for NW47-ish Chocolate Brown Skin | The Style and Beauty Doctor

7. dionne white says:

Ask Danielle: Makeup for Dark Skinned Girls : http://tinyurl.com/y97zhy8

8. Pingback: Best Makeup Colors for Every Skin Tone | The Style and Beauty Doctor

9. Pingback: From the Vault: Makeup for Fair Skin Girls | The Style and Beauty Doctor

10. Pingback: Makeup for Light Skin Girls | The Style and Beauty Doctor

11. Pingback: FTV: Makeup for Fair Skinned Girls | The Style and Beauty Doctor

12. Pingback: Makeup for Fair Skin Girls | The Style and Beauty Doctor

13. chika from Nigeria.. says:

Wow! I stumbled unto this site a month back. Since then I’ve become very addicted.. I must say its been very educative as I’m a lover of a perfect look. The problem is most of this products can’t be found here.. But I’ve really learnt a lot.. Thanks Danielle.. You indeed a life saver.

Aww! Thanks, Chika! Shoot—I’d love it if I could get my hands on more international products…lol. Is Sleek MakeUP sold near you? They have awesome dupes for a lot of my favorite products. I especially love their blush and lipsticks ;)

14. Pingback: How to Look Your Best EVER Plus Talk Among Yourselves or Ask Me a Question | The Style and Beauty Doctor

15. Pingback: From the Vault: Best Makeup Colors For Every Skin Tone | The Style and Beauty Doctor

16. Pingback: Ask Danielle: Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show ’08 Makeup | The Style and Beauty Doctor

17. Ava says:

For all my nw50/55 girls and boys please go try out Bobbi Brown Creamy Lip Color in Rasin Berry. nr. 11. I’ve looked everywhere for a nude lipstick that isin’t glossy and works with my complextion, and this one works so damn well for me:)