Buying makeup online can be an overwhelming process. There’s a gazillion brands out there with one hundred million gazillion products. How does a girl know what to get? And what’s with those weird digital color swatches—how are you supposed to tell which one represents your shade?
Fear not, for I knew one day all my internet shopping would do some good (aside from filling the pockets of everyone but mine *smh*). I’ve put together some tips to take out some of the anxiety.
General shopping tips:
1. Buy from a well-known retailer with a clearly defined return and/or exchange policy. You don’t want to get stuck with that too-light foundation or dead-wrong-what-was-I-thinking lipstick.
2. Always google for coupon codes before you hit submit. One of the greatest things about the internet is that there’s so much info out there. You can find anything—like a secret free shipping or 15% off code.
3. Be prepared to buy more than one shade when you can’t pin down which shade is your best bet.
4. Google image is your friend. So is Makeup Alley. Just type in the product you have your eye on and see if a swatch of it comes up.
Makeup specific tips:
1. Check out my Foundation 101 post to help you understand your undertones and which formulas work best for you. Then also check out the genius Foundation Matrix created by Temptalia. If you know your MAC shade, you can find your match in other brands with a quick scroll through.
2. Not all brands follow a uniform color guide (some brands use numbers others use names). Warm undertones are also called yellow, peach, orange, and sometimes red. Cool undertones are also called pink, blue, and sometimes red. Confusing, right? Like I mentioned, since there is no uniform color guide for makeup, brands have their own interpretation of colors. When in doubt, buy both shades and return the one that doesn’t work.
1. Understand lipstick finishes courtesy of MAC
CREME: High impact and high color with lots of shine for a dramatic look.
FROST: Shimmery frosted finish. High shine glamour.
GLAZE: A shiny finish tinted with colour. Gives lips a sexy sheen.
LUSTRE: Slightly sheer, with an ultra shiny finish. Gives lips a high impact, wet, lustre look.
MATTE: Intense colour, matte finish.
METALLIC FROST: Frosted colour with a metallic, high-shine finish
SATIN: Semi-matte finish with lots of colour for soft, smooth lips.
SHEER: Just a tint of colour in this barely there, natural sheer colour treatment.
2. You can find some color recommendations in these past posts: Makeup for Fair Skin Girls, Makeup for Light Skin Girls, Makeup for Asian Girls, Makeup for Olive Tone Skin, Makeup for Dark Skin Girls
See it? Hope you find everything you’re looking for!
Why so much MAC? While my kit is filled with brands across the spectrum, I often mention MAC because it’s likely one of the most swatched brands on the internet. So if I say get a blue-based red like MAC Ruby Woo, you’ll be able to find tons of images of it on real people and know what I mean about a blue-based red!
And of course, if you need help, feel free to contact me. I’ll help as much as I can.